Favourite Classical music pieces – Introduction

(Source : http://bit.ly/aFlrJc )
It has been some time since I wrote on my blog. This is because on weekdays I have to be faithful to my FaceBook games and weekends I am usually at home desperately trying to keep up with Twitter conversations via my phone, while watching a movie or two on the computer. But this week is different. The university asked us to write a report on our industrial training. So I stayed at my Grand-aunt’s place at the weekend instead of going home. But try as I might. Writing reports is a dull task. So I thought as long as I have to write something, what about writing my long forgotten blog? That is why I am here typing away my thoughts once again.

Now I am sure that you are wondering “What in the blessed world does the title have to do with the previous paragraph” (Not in exact same words though) To clear things out I shall explain my motivation henceforth.

If I ask you “Have you ever listened to classical music?” I am sure most of you would say “No”. But the truth is even if you are a hardcore rock fan; you most definitely have heard classical music pieces. Let me give you some examples.
  • Have you ever heard the tune that most of the three-wheeler bread sellers use? That is “Für Elise” by Beethoven.  
  • Have you ever listened to the closing credits of the cartoon “Denis the Menace” (දඟයා)?  That is Eine kleine Nachtmusik” by Mozart.
  • Have you ever watched Twilight? (I know that the question raised a few eyebrows J) There Edward and Bella listens to “Clair de Lune” by Debussy.
  • Now for more controversy! Have you ever listened to “Wasanthaye” by Bathiya and Santhush? Yes? Well I am not going to tell what classical piece that is, because it would be the subject of my next blog post. (If I ever write it that is)


Now I shall explain what  triggered a blog post all of a sudden.  Well the story goes like this,

The other day I was listening to Beethoven’s Für Elise at my work place. One of our graphics designers heard the tune coming from headphones (I listen to music very loud of-course) and inquired, “ඔය අර චූන් පාං සින්දුව නේද?” (“Isn’t it the cheerful bread song?”). Needless to say I was quite shocked. He and most of the people that have heard this tune from the bread sellers, has created a mental connection between the two.

( Source :  http://bit.ly/c3mYRI )
I just cannot imagine a reason that a bread seller would choose a love tune as his theme other than it comes pre-programmed in some electronic gadgets (Not my area of expertise).  Nevertheless I am still grateful for their task of making the tune popular. So I wanted to give some pointers to some of the most beautiful and popular tunes of all time for the novice who is under the assumption s/he is blind (In this case, deaf) to Classical Music (which of course is not the case). I invite you all to stay with the blog posts that are to follow.  If you are a novice you may learn something, if you are an expert you can correct my mistakes. Either way, stay with me while I take you through a crash course of the language of the gods.

3 comments:

Tharindu De Silva said...

very well done buddy...!!! I'll be here more frequently to update my database. It is really good to hear that your attempt to spread these greatest classical tunes of all time to others. This should be done in a proper way by the responsible authorities. But unfortunately our educational policies are based on the politicians who involved in. It varies time to time democratic policies to republican policies. Nothing with classical and nothing with education.

By the way, in each and every foreign university, you can see a multimedia room filled up with hundreds of western and oriental classical music pieces and hundreds of classic films. But here the situation is different. As wise man said it is "Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness". So your attempt is simply superb....

Nisansa Dilushan said...

@Tharindu Thank you buddy. It means a lot. I'll be writing about the most popular tunes. Thus you might have all of them with you already. Yes, you are correct. As all good things the ability to appreciate this music is an art that one must practice with conscious effort, and is better if practiced by the schools and parents.

The thing is even if we were to posses such facilities in universities, it would be hard to root out the prejudices that people have developed till now. But I do agree with the Chinese Proverb that you mentioned. And I do hope to keep the fire burning.

Malith said...

you gonna spend my time here nisansa. i no im late. but one thing for sure, i ll never be!

i knew the bread and wasanthaye tune. but u were the only ive ever met who talk abt them.
sometimes i think im so selfish, i just want to be friends with like minded people. anyway when i meet one(a lot more than me) yeah its definitely awesome.

i just read this one. i ll have a lot ahead i believe :)
thanx alot and keep it up!

Post a Comment